CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 10, 2008

a new look

Who knew it was so easy to change blog templates (okay, probably most of you)? I've been meaning to do this and update our family & friends list, so that just leaves one more item I've been procrastinating - tag. My friend Shan tagged me a month ago and my sister Jamie sort of tagged me last year sometime. So, 10 things about me:

1. I love dessert. I need it after almost every meal. My first choice would be anything chocolate, preferably with marshmallows mixed in. As a side note, I'm in the market for a fabulous chocolate chip cookie recipe. I made cookies last week and was bitterly disappointed about how flat they came out. I even took preventative measures by softening the margarine at room temperature exactly the way Betty Crocker suggests, but the cookies looked worse than the "these cookies were made with butter/margarine that was too soft" picture in my book. Any suggestions or recipes for the perfect batch? (Confession...it's been hours since I finished dinner and I didn't have dessert and after writing about this, I just got up and got a cookie --- okay it was three.)

2. I've recently rediscovered how much I love reading. I get absorbed in a good book, which is why I didn't read much for fun when I was in school. Since graduating, it's been so nice to not have 10 other things that I need to read and I've really been able to start reading for fun again. I've never read any of Jane Austen and her novels are next on my list. Any other suggestions? My sisters have introduced me to a helpful website: http://www.goodreads.com/. You can rate books and get good ideas for reading from friends.

3. Speaking of my sisters, I love them. Jamie, Lyndy, and Heather are such blessings in my life. They are each unique and courageous in their own way and are incredible mothers. I admire Jamie's patience, organization and creativity, Lyndy's love of learning and joy in motherhood, and Heather's independence and selfless regard for others. I'm inspired by these women and the other good people in my life.

4. I hate needles. It doesn't matter if you call it a shot or an injection or "just a little poke," I'd rather not. This was a major motivation for no epidural and looking back, I'd actually do it again!

5. I love movies. Some recent favorites include Amazing Grace, the six hour version of Pride & Prejudice, and I Am David (one of the best movies I've ever seen).

6. I hate flossing. Russell and I went to the dentist last October for the first time since we've been married. (I know that sounds gross, but I do brush daily). When you're poor college students with no insurance, some things have to go. Anyway, as usual, I started flossing a couple days before I went, but really didn't for years before that and I only had one cavity. (Russell had two, his first two EVER.) So, I decided that I'll be okay if I floss every few days, which is less guilt-provoking than never and much more tolerable than daily.

7. I like watching football on TV. There's something oddly relaxing about it. Perhaps it's the association with lazy Thanksgiving afternoons, but I grew up enjoying this with my dad and still do.

8. I hate mornings. Well, maybe that's unfair. There's nothing wrong with morning time, I just prefer to be asleep for most of it. I would much rather stay up late than get up early. My husband and son seem to agree with me. Russell regularly works graveyards from 6 pm to 6 am and would much rather do that than a morning shift. Calvin usually sleeps until 9:30 or 10 am (I thought I'd never see the day!).

9. I actually love my job. I don't know if I've ever been able to say this before. I work part-time for Utah County as a clinical therapist for a residential substance abuse treatment center. I enjoy my coworkers and the flexibility of the position that allows me to be a full-time mom [and sleep in=)]. I also never thought I'd enjoy working with addicts and alcoholics, but it's been my favorite. I'm amazed at how courageous my clients are and I learn so much from them.

10. I love my boys. There's never a dull moment with just the three of us. Russell is truly my best friend and is such a wonderful father. Calvin brings indescribable joy to our lives. The other morning during breakfast, which as you can guess was later than at most other homes, I just sat back and watched for awhile. Calvin dropped his milk (on purpose), then said, "Uh oh, uh oh, uh oh, uh oh, uh oh, uh oh..." This whole thing repeated eight or nine times, with variations such as "Ooooo oooo." Russell gave Calvin a bite of oatmeal, then turned to his bowl of cereal, exclaiming to it (and I quote): "Corn squares ain't got nothin' on you, raisin bran." He really likes raisin bran. Anyway, I cherish even the chaotic or silly moments and love the time I have with these two peas in a pod.

I'm actually sorry that I put this off because it's been inspiring, even therapeutic, to recognize what makes me me. Thanks for reading and if you haven't done this yet, consider yourself tagged. Here's a picture to reward those who made it all the way through...

5 comments:

Muggle Mom said...

very cute new layout! loved your blog. ;)

(oh, and having 3 kids....epidurals are WAY worth it).

Brad said...

For a great chocolate chip recipe, go out and buy the butter-flavored crisco. It has an awesome recipe and it is so delicious. Celeste makes them all the time. I used to not like chocolate chip cookies 'cause I'd eaten so many crappy ones in my life. But I'm a fan again, thanks to butter-flavored crisco.

Hilary said...

For me, the joy of drugs far outweighs the pain of a needle. Haha!

Hey Megan and I are on GoodReads too! It's great to rediscover reading again after "required reading" days.

Thayne6 said...

I wish my babies would sleep until 9:30 or 10!!!! You're the best! I love you!!

Jamie

Lindsey said...

I love the Betty Crocker recipe, but just ignore her about softened butter! My mom taught me to use cold butter (straight from the fridge) for making cookies and my families' cookies are never all flat and gross looking; in fact, they are nice and thick---perfect for dunking into a glass of milk!